Safety Tips for travelling in and around South Africa
Security Safety Tips for Traveling in Southern Africa
- Tourists should be as cautious as they would be in any major city in the world
- It’s best to avoid leaving your luggage, or any of your belongings unattended
- Avoid carrying large sums of cash or other valuables such as cameras
- At all times, you should be alert and attentive
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle where they are in sight. Rather lock them in the trunk of the vehicle.
- Park in well-lit, secure areas at night
- Be especially alert after dark, and avoid walking alone, or in small groups.
- You may encounter beggars and street children asking for money – Social Workers advise against giving money
- In South Africa, you will encounter at most shopping malls or parking lots, marked or uniformed parking attendants that will offer to watch your vehicle for a small tip